A Hodge Podge

Wednesday, March 9, 2011
Today is basically just a data dump of what's on my mind.

* I showed Ross a new camera bag I really want (online) and he asks me why I need a new one if I already own one. I tell him that the bag I own is red, so I can't wear it with everything- the perfect reason to get a gray one! WRONG. Ross tells me to make sure I wear clothes that match a red purse on the days when I want to carry a camera.

Yes, Men are from Mars.

* Do you know what Danskos are?  I compare Dansko's to the Ugg phenomena. Simply put: Ugly shoes that are super comfortable.

Anyways, every woman up here owns at least one pair of Danskos (I was informed you're not truly Alaskan till you do). So, in the name of peer pressure, I bought my first pair today. They're pink. Of course. They remind me of some clogs my Grammie used to wear. I never understood why anyone would buy such an ugly pair of shoes. But, as of today I get it. (Grammie I finally get it!) They're super easy to slide on and quite comfortable, with lots of arch support. I'll need to wear 'em more before the final verdict.

* FYI: You must have a grill cover in AK otherwise the knobs freeze and you can't turn on the grill. Which means bad things for hamburgers....

* Sometimes I pick up random treats at the grocery store. My latest find was Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm. If you haven't tried it you should. No one tells you that when you move to Alaska even Costco can't keep you stocked with enough chapstick and lotion.


* Picking up frozen Roma "presents" in the backyard is WAYYY easier than picking up Texas-ified ones.

* I don't think it's ok to pay more than $5 for a box of cereal, so I am eating yogurt for breakfast now.

* When online retailers advertise FREE SHIPPING, there is usually an asterisk with some fine print, which I never bothered to look at before. It reads "Free shipping applies only to the contiguous United states. Excludes Hawaii and Alaska" Not fair. Also, not easily defeated, I've been sending stuff to my mom to bring up here on her trip in a couple weeks.

2 comments

  1. If they don't specify "Contiguous" United States, but instead use "Continental" without explicitly excluding Alaska...Fight em! I do every time until they realize they failed geography class when it comes to the definintion of the continent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz, I happen to love Danskos as well and am not even an Alaskan (I think this fact means I am officially old and uncool) - however, at some point you have to say, "screw it - I want to be comfortable!"

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

HBD to Claire and Ross!

Such a fun birthday weekend for two of my favorites! Claire turned 8 and Ross turned… more than 8 :)  Date night picture--