Tribute to Grammie

Sunday, July 10, 2011
I got this email from my mom on Saturday morning.

"It's morning and we had an interesting night. At 2am Grammie woke up and called out "Dad". Andrew was sleeping on the living rm couch and went to get everyone. We collected ourselves around the bedside. Grammie didn't know it was the middle of the night. She signaled she wanted to write something. We put paper in front of her and pen in hand. She wrote very faintly but clear. "I want to say goodbye, EJC". We were amazed and glad we didn't miss that opportunity."

Here's a copy of the note she wrote:

Grammie peacefully passed away at her home around 9AM Saturday morning, surrounded by her family. She was an amazing woman and will be sorely missed.

I just wanted to share some of the special ways that Grammie influenced me/things that remind me of her:
*My favorite color is purple, just like Grammie
*I'm named Elizabeth Shannon, after her
*Chloe perfume
*Grammie's stash of Little Debbie treats
*Going to the Giant for groceries with Grammie, where everyone knew her by name
*I loved sleepovers with my grandparents because the Fairies would always come at night and leave me little presents
*Breakfast in bed, which Grammie called her "Nest"
*The saying "Oye"
*Grammie's handwriting, I always aspired to sign my name as "pretty" as her
*Cats-- Grammie was THE "cat lady" in the neighborhood, and all the strays knew it :)







Grammie, you will be missed.

5 comments

  1. What a wonderful note and such precious memories. We are sorry for your loss, Liz. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Liz.... :.( I'm so very sorry dear. I've been thinking & praying for you're Grammie throughout today, and now I know the prayers were really for your family. We will be praying!!! Please, please let me know if there's anything I can do! We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grandparents are such a blessing. I'm so sorry for your loss, Liz.

    -Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry you lost your Grammie. What a gift she was.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liz, this is a lovely tribute to your grandmother. Our love to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

HBD to Claire and Ross!

Such a fun birthday weekend for two of my favorites! Claire turned 8 and Ross turned… more than 8 :)  Date night picture--