Reflections

Sunday, January 9, 2011
I am feeling a bit reflective this evening. It all started when I was greeted by a display of itty bitty string bikinis when I entered the door at Target. You see, I was still shivering from the walk across the parking lot (15 degrees today) and I couldn't help but laugh when I saw the prominent bathing suit display. Really Target? You've gotta do better at regional marketing...

Things I Miss from Texas:
*Family and friends
*HEB grocery store
*Marshalls, Homegoods, Bath and Body Works, TJ Maxx, William Sonoma, Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, Pottery Barn...
*Restaurants, especially Tex Mex
*Warm weather
*Sun, sunlight, daytime
*Ranch (no venison sausage :(...)
*Lake House (trade in water skis for cross country skis)
*Austin (Hook 'Em!!)
*Wearing shorts/skirts/capris (the majority of my wardrobe is useless here right now)
*A fenced backyard (potty with Roma is way more difficult without one)
*Running (it's just too cold and a bit too complicated to get a good outdoor run during the winter)
*Price per square foot (you don't realize how good you have it until you leave Houston)
*Prices of everything now that I think about it
*Grilling outside every other night
*Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla ice cream
*Katy Mills Mall
*Houston Rodeo

Things I love about Alaska
*Seafood, mainly ALASKA KING CRAB AND WILD SALMON!!
*Micro brew-- this state has GOOD beer!
*Breathtaking scenery, even from the office window
*Outdoor activities- Cross country sking, hiking, snow shoeing, downhill sking, snowboarding, fishing, canoeing, mountain biking, ice skating... I'm sure there's more I have yet to discover
*Camping (yet to try)
*Seeing the stars at night (we plan to take a trip outside the city to see Aurora Borealis soon too)
*Lighted ski paths (can ski AFTER work even though it's dark)
*3-Dimensional Terrain
*No sales tax
*Getting paid to live here
*Growlers (A glass jug that carries fresh micro brew to go. A WAY more economical way to imbibe..)
*Alaskan Accents
*Unadulterated FRESH air (my lungs have never been happier)
*White Christmas
*Photography opportunities

I'm sure the list of the things I love about Alaska will grow as it gets warmer AND the days get longer!

No comments

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

HBD to Claire and Ross!

Such a fun birthday weekend for two of my favorites! Claire turned 8 and Ross turned… more than 8 :)  Date night picture--