OOMPA!

Tuesday, July 20, 2010
I am now the wife of a hunter, but I used to be the girlfriend of a hunter. I knew NOTHING about hunting before I met Ross. When you're dating there are a whole bunch of things you don't say. For example, "Umm this sausage you made isn't my favorite." However, once you a) get more comfortable in your relationship and/or b) get hitched, you start to have more honest opinions. For example, "Ross this venison spaghetti is way too gamey for me to eat. I think I'll just have cereal." Some favorites (like spaghetti) just don't translate, but I've been surprised at how many do-- my favorite is probably venison fajitas. It's taken some time, but I really love venison now. I actually prefer venison over beef. (crazy, I know).  There was one major setback along the way. Shall we say, inherent risk? "(CRACK!)... Honey I think I just bit into a shotgun pellet in the gumbo, must have been from the goose... I also think my tooth is cracked. Ah, I'm never eating gumbo again!!" I got my tooth fixed and I started eating gumbo again almost immediately. It's so good.

My friend Sarah had some venison backstrap that had been in the freezer for awhile and needed to be used. Ross pulled a few cookbooks out and I picked Venison Gyros. I made fresh pita bread (which I've never done), but I didn't like the Tzatziki sauce much. We omitted the dill from the sauce (neither Ross nor I like it much) and without it, the sauce was just rather bland. The venison only had to marinade for 15 min, so I was surprised how much flavor it had. We had a Mint Melon Salad on the side, made with a simple syrup, lemon, amaretto, fresh mint, cantaloupe, and watermelon. This salad is a keeper, especially good when watermelon is in season!


No comments

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

HBD to Claire and Ross!

Such a fun birthday weekend for two of my favorites! Claire turned 8 and Ross turned… more than 8 :)  Date night picture--