Black Bean Corn Salad

Wednesday, July 7, 2010
You know those recipes you loved when you were growing up? The ones that you always asked your mom for on your birthday? (One of mine was Stuffed Shells. MMM.  I haven't had those in years). The "Grown Up" conundrum is that your momma doesn't cook for you anymore and a whole host of recipes are seemingly lost.  That's precisely why I raided my mom's recipe box when I went to Charleston last year. After all, Mom knows best :)

Here's one from the "Mom Recipe Box", definitely not a childhood favorite (eww veggies!), but from my more recent years. 

Black Bean and Corn Salad

2 15oz black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
1 red, 1 green pepper, chopped
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced

1/4 cup lime (or lemon) juice
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp black pepper

(Optional ¼ cup chopped cilantro)

Mix juice, oil, cumin, and pepper together. Combine other ingredients in a bowl and pour liquid over top. Delish!

In all honesty, I don't really measure when I make this recipe and I promise you-- it's ok! I promise. I made this salad at the lakehouse last weekend. Fresh, colorful, and tasty. What could be better on a hot, sunny summer day?


No comments

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

HBD to Claire and Ross!

Such a fun birthday weekend for two of my favorites! Claire turned 8 and Ross turned… more than 8 :)  Date night picture--